Download: Coronavirus Prayers (Southampton).
March 2020: Our normal lives are being considerably interrupted by the spread of a flu virus that is now being described as pandemic in Europe.
We have now been advised to wash our hands more often, particularly when we arrive at work or get home again. We are to refrain from handshaking and hugging. This is stirring up different reactions. We have seen panic buying of toilet roll and pasta in supermarkets. Some people are wondering about keeping their children home from school to protect them. And now we have been told it is the time for everyone to stop all non-essential contact with others. This is going to hurt.
Into this atmosphere we pray!
You may wish to sign up and pray for an hour in our virtual prayer room. We are providing this as one way to know to keep watch for our city as the Body of Christ together and maintain a sense of being connected together.
24-7 have set up global virtual prayer room for coronavirus. You can book in to pray for an hour and download prayer resources.
Ideas for praying
- Love God – worship, pray, read your bible
- Love neighbours – send a note, buy groceries etc.
- We are supposed to take longer washing our hands – say the Lord’s prayer as you wash your hands.
- Read Psalm 91 each day and let it shape your prayers.
- Use these prayers as a starting point and pray specific prayers for the people and organisations (e.g. doctors) in your neighbourhood.
We begin with our foundation of trust in God, using the words of Southampton hymn writer Isaac Watts. (For the rest of Isaac Watts’ hymn see hymnal.net)
Pause and and trust our Father
Our God, our help in ages past,
our hope for years to come,
our shelter from the stormy blast,
and our eternal home.
Under the shadow of thy throne,
still may we dwell secure;
sufficient is thine arm alone,
and our defence is sure.
- God is good. He loves us.
- He is the same God today, as he was before this virus broke out.
- He is able and mighty to save.
- He promises to heal our land when we humble ourselves and pray.
- He is a shelter for all who are afraid and He comforts all who mourn.
And so we pray…
Dear Father, give us faith to trust you in this time. Our normal routines are being disturbed. In this time, meet us in new ways.
You are our redeemer and we look to you to redeem this situation and bring about a new awareness of your love and sovereignty.
Save us from this virus, may it decline in a miraculous way.
In the meantime, we especially pray for everyone in healthcare services in Southampton. Be their strength and wisdom to cope with unprecedented pressure on their services. Be their peace and security.
We ask you for a spirit of generosity over us all, instead of fear and selfish hoarding. Help us to reach out to neighbours and care for those who are vulnerable at this time.
We put all our trust and hope in You.
You can download these Coronavirus Prayers (Southampton) here.
24-7 Prayer have also written prayers for deliverance from the coronavirus.